mark on oil pump housing. See Fig. 4 . This will position keyway in crankshaft sprocket at 12 o’clock
4. Ensure all sprockets and idler pulleys are clean. Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket, oil pump
sprocket, No. 1 idler pulley, and then No. 2 idler pulley in sequence.
5. Install timing belt guide with cupped side away from crankshaft sprocket and flat side toward timing belt.
Install No. 1 timing belt cover and new gasket.
6. Align crankshaft pulley key groove with key in crankshaft. Install crankshaft pulley. Install and tighten
crankshaft pulley bolt to specification.
7. Rotate crankshaft clockwise so cylinder No. 1 is at TDC on compression stroke. Ensure timing mark on
crankshaft pulley aligns with “0″ mark on No. 1 timing belt cover. If reusing timing belt, ensure reference
mark on timing belt aligns with upper edge of No. 1 timing belt cover.
8. Rotate camshaft, and align hole in camshaft sprocket with alignment mark on camshaft bearing cap. See
Fig. 2 . Install timing belt on camshaft sprocket. If reusing timing belt, ensure reference mark on timing
belt aligns with the reference mark on camshaft sprocket. Ensure tension exists on timing belt between
the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.
9. Loosen No. 1 idler pulley bolt 1/2 turn. Rotate crankshaft pulley 2 full revolutions clockwise from TDC
10. Ensure timing mark on crankshaft pulley aligns with “0″ mark on No. 1 timing belt cover, and hole in
camshaft sprocket aligns with alignment mark on camshaft bearing cap. See Fig. 2 . If timing marks are
not aligned, remove timing belt and reinstall.
11. Rotate crankshaft clockwise 1 and 7/8 revolutions and align crankshaft pulley “0″ mark with 45-degree
Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) mark on No. 1 timing belt cover. See Fig. 5 .
12. Tighten No. 1 idler pulley bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Install No. 2 timing
belt cover and gaskets. Install and tighten spark plugs to specification.
13. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Install all bolts/nuts on right (timing belt
side) engine mount before tightening to specification.
14. On Camry, when installing control rod and bracket on strut tower and right (timing belt side engine
mount, tighten bolts to specification in sequence. See Fig. 6 . On MR2, tighten engine mount bolts in
correct locations. See Fig. 7 . Adjust drive belts to proper tension.